About Comments

Comments are enabled on all postings. Click a posting to find the comment box. Comments are moderated and appear after my review.

Friday 5 September 2014

GBL BoB - Part 8

The choice of name for my BR(S) Bulleid West Country pacific conversion from the GBL BoB posed no problem at all. Those who follow this Blog or visit my model railway website will know my layout is based on Crewkerne in Somerset. Since my track plan is much simpler than early 1960s Crewkerne I named the station after the nearby village of Misterton, which is in fact closer to the station than the town! In homage to the real station it is fitting to name the model locomotive after it - Crewkerne.

The full size locomotive was built at Brighton works, entering service in September 1946 as 21C140 and named Crewkerne in October 1948. It was rebuilt (air smooth casing removed etc.) in October 1960 at which point the tender was changed to the low sided variant. In original configuration it was first allocated to Stewarts Lane shed for south eastern routes and then transferred to Bournemouth shed for Waterloo to central southern England services. It also hauled the Pines Express over the Somerset & Dorset Joint Railway. I am doubtful it was used on BR(S) south west routes although it has been reported hauling the Plymouth to Brighton train in 1949. Whether it ventured into the south west or took over this train at Salisbury I do not know. Nevertheless, it operates on my layout through Crewkerne a.k.a. Misterton in the summer of 1960 shortly before it went for rebuild.

On the model the lining, side panel numbers and BR crest are from HMRS Pressfix transfer sheets. The Crewkerne and West Country Class banners, shield and smoke box door number were designed in a graphic editing Application using a resolution of 600 pixels and printed on sticky label. The final addition to the model was a Hornby speedometer cable, which required a plasticard pocket to be made for holding the cable bracket tab behind the side panel.

I said to myself several times that it is finished and then found something that needed doing. More detailing and GBL design corrections could be carried out but I think this will do nicely. It sits well alongside my super detailed Hornby locomotives and is far superior to my Airfix/Kemilway BoB model that I built over 30 years ago.

Purchased 'super detailing' parts amounted to £14.45 bringing the total cost to £61.43 plus bits from my spares box and some DIY 3D printed components.




To Part 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...